wiki:access/AocSep2021

ACCESS Oversight Committee - Notes from the 30th September 2021

1. Welcome

  • Welcome to new member Robyn Schofield representing Melb Uni.

2. ACCESS-NRI

  1. Update on contracts and position advertisements
  • ACCESS NRI Funding Agreement with Department is underway
  • Collaborative Agreement meeting held last week, included review of IP, agreement will be redrafted and sent out next week
  • ANU DVCR and partners meeting will be held to discuss governance and finalise agreement ready for sign off
  • Director position will be advertised next week closing 7th November, international applicants welcome – Dale to share link to ad for distribution to potential candidates
  • 2 associate director position descriptions have been submitted to ANU HR, and will go to review committee for approval soon
  • 3 ACCESS NRI office positions have been approved and will be advertised by next week – business manager, comms and engagement, and EA, expect appointments to occur in October
  1. Collation and prioritisation of tasks from ACCESS Discussion Day
  • Richard C. to share ACCESS Discussion Day documents and ACCESS NRI positions via Google Docs and committee members to provide feedback
  • Richard C. to organise meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss feedback and ACCESS-NRI priorities. This will feed into development of ACCESS-NRI work plan for next 12 months and map out initial positions/secondments that are needed to achieve priorities. Positions expected to be advertised in November
  1. Other ACCESS-NRI matters
  • Noted that UM/LFRic license issues are complex, Ben Evans is exploring this for NCI and the ACCES NRI will capitalise on those efforts
  • 2021 NRI Roadmap exposure draft due for release early-mid October, partners should influence their institutions response around ACCESS-NRI as may not have time for coordinated response
  • ACCESS-NRI inaugural conference to be held next year

3. Round-table - update on activities and issues relating to ACCESS

a. NCI

  • Discussions with NCAS around UM/LFRic licensing to find out how they do things – important for NCI and ACCESS-NRI
  • Visualisation work has progressed and is getting to the end point, there will be coordination before the release
  • No response provided yet on WMO consultation draft on exascale computing, key outcomes are supported, and the innovation approach reflects what is happening for ACCESS NRI and at the Bureau

b. CSIRO

  • Now that the CMIP6 runs completed, effort is focussing on extension runs
  • Trialling high-res ocean configuration of the coupled model, N96 atmosphere + 1/4 degree ocean, once that looks ok will try N216 atmosphere +1/4 degree ocean. Simulation has completed a few decades and assessment of climate indices shows that it looks similar to the CMIP6 model.
  • COSIMA keen to have a look at the model output and offered to run their standard assessment scripts to check the model performance.
  • Harun to let Ben know where the model output of the high-resolution coupled climate simulations is to facilitate sharing of data
  • JULES Science meeting attended by Ian Harman, included discussion of the release of land ancillary suite, publishing the hydro-JULES framework, and timelines for moving to NGMS

c. BoM

  • Bureau Annual R&D workshop will be the 8-11 November, the program and registration information can be found at http://www.bom.gov.au/research/workshop/2021/
  • BoM is in the process of recruiting several modelling positions in urban modelling, high latitude Antarctic modelling, ocean modelling, coupled modelling (NWP/Seasonal prediction) and Next Gen Model development, including support for modelling infra-structure.
  • Met Office held a 2 day international workshop on hindcasts, main driver is to help them decide if they should do NWP hindcasts.
  • Met Office have released prototype RAL3 configurations, which includes a configuration that unifies the tropics and midlatitudes - includes the new microphysics scheme - Bureau testing underway
  • Justin Freeman will replace Charmaine on this committee from the next meeting

d. Universities

  • New postdocs starting to ramp up, plans for a bounce back strategy but won't begin until early 2022
  • Monash has hired 2 research assistants until the end of the year to look at 400m national ACCESS simulation, call for collaboration
  • AAPP conducting simulations over the Southern Ocean with detailed chemistry fields being output including ozone and DMS

e. COSIMA

  • Position open for software engineer
  • Soon to advertise PhD student top-ups

f. NESP

  • Another version of research plan has been submitted to DAWE, minor feedback received so 2021 formal approval expected. Written agreement to proceed with projects from 1st July 2021 received.
  • Co-design workshops to be held in October, further co-design workshops with stakeholders will occur later
  • Climate Systems Hub indigenous facilitator, Rowena Bullio, has been onboarded as ANU first persons

g. UM Partnership activities

  • Richard C. will attend the next UM partner board meeting on November 3rd to discuss ACCESS-NRI

4. Next meetings

  • Meetings will be held on the last Thursday of the month for October and November, no meeting in December
  • Next meeting on 28th of October at the usual time (3-4:30pm)

---

Back to AOC meeting notes

Back to main ACCESS wiki page

Last modified 8 weeks ago Last modified on Oct 14, 2021 10:18:27 AM