wiki:access/ATIWG_006

Meeting Notes: ACCESS Technical Infrastructure Rose-Cylc Working Group

Thu 08-Jul-2014 9E
Attendees: Ian, Mike, Robin Bowen, Martin, Wenming, Ilia, Asri, Peter Steinle, Scott, Say, Guo Liu, Robin Wedd, Oscar Alves
Video: Ben
Apologies: Jim, Peter Uhe

1. Rose-Cylc installation

  • Ongoing: Robin/Ben to discuss further about module on accessdev; Ben: tools on raijin can be made available on accessdev upon request
  • Ongoing: Rose updated to 2014-05; Cylc updated to 5.4.14; Cylc 6 coming in a couple of months;
    NOTE: It is discussed that two versions of Rose/Cylc are kept on accessdev; one for operational stability and the other with the latest version for research
  • Working: Scott/Ben to discuss the decommission of accesscollab
  • Working: BoM/CSIRO/COE have variant IT security policy on making data/docs/content visible to external users. Robin/Scott/Ian to discuss how to impose restriction on access to public_htm@accessdev; This issue is moved to accessdev group meeting https://accessdev.nci.org.au/trac/ticket/111;
  • Working: Rose and dependent modules installed on webnm-dev for Rosebush on twister; https://accessdev.nci.org.au/trac/ticket/108;
    Robin to request system admins to fix Apache related issue for Rosebush.
  • Done: FCM problem: perl does not look for the access control list to work properly for non access.admin users; FCM updated by Scott;
  • Working: Robin to chase up with NCI for a non-access.admin tester account.
  • Working: Jin Lee has requested Rosebud as part of Rose; Ian to check if Rosebud is working with all UM versions (8.3-8.6) and install as standard accessdev utility.
  • Working: Handover of Ian's duties to Robin, Asri, Martin, Peter Uhe and Wenming; Robin to look at the handover strategy and details;
  • Working: accessdev puppet update segmentation fault; Chris is going to investigate this likely memory related problem
  • Closed: Xiao reported the problem not being able to resubmit job through Cylc unless restarting the suite. Problem happens one/few time(s) a week but no other users have reported the issue.

2. Rose-Cylc training and documentation

  • Ongoing: Robin to prepare accessdev bulletin at the end of each month; June 2014 -> https://trac.nci.org.au/trac/access/wiki/AccessbulletinJun2014;
  • Working: Testing the migration from accesscollab to accessdev; Martin will add a link to Scott's wiki for testing users.
  • Working: so far the response to standard experiments does not meet the expectation; more work needs to be done to get more feedback
  • Working: NIWA Hilary Oliver's visit to BOM approved. The visit focuses on the training of using Cylc and consulting of the operational usage of Cylc at BNOC
  • Working: Consider moving access_wiki from trac.nci.org.au to accesssdev. Scott following this up with NCI, has written script for NCI to do for this move.
    Ben thinks it is not a good idea; Ben/Scott and others may need to discuss this further

3. Rose-Cylc suite design

  • Working: Asri/Ilia working on rose-stem. Ilia working on including GCOM build as part of UM build, to tighten control over GCOM versions in UM; has some problems: FCM does not look for the specified GCOM lib.
    Action: Martin to do a simple GCOM test
  • Working: Pre-build libraries; ~access/prebuilds/um/vn9.x will be default place for um prebuilds, as per Asri's recommendation.
  • Working: Mike/Ian simplify the build config files in UM source, fcm-make directories; discussion in progress with UM Systems Team.
  • Working: Ian to complete N512 forecast suite. Some references to scripts in Xiao's directories to be moved to within suite. Peter S mentioned that radiation/aerosol fix from APS1 needs to be included in APS2.
    Action: Ian is testing N512 job
  • Working: Asri/Martin working on KGO rose-ana steps in rose-stem; KGO for each test is needed.

4. Review tools

  • Working[low priority]: Testing positive and it is a handy software for users; will make it a general tool for users. How-to and example may be produced; Scott may discuss this tool with UK Metoffice.

5. Other issues

  • Mike briefed UM Workshop and Met Office shared repository
  • BOM's new HPC: Robin reported that the benchmark to be released soon; tenders evaluated first half 2015 and contract expected to be signed at the middle of 2015
  • Scott has created prototype capturing statistics of UMUI jobs submitted from accesscollab & accessdev: https://stats.accessdev.nci.org.au; this technique should be applied on Rose/Cylc
  • The strategy of maintaining local Rose/Cylc modifications and possible contribution to Rose/Cylc for more general use
Last modified 4 years ago Last modified on Oct 20, 2016 2:10:42 PM