wiki:access/ATCGMeeting2Notes

ACCESS Technical Coordination Group -- Notes from Meeting !#2 (20/9/2012)


From: Michael Naughton
Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2012 4:05 PM
To: Michael Naughton; Robin Bowen; Martin Dix; Tim Pugh; Mike Rezny; 'Ben Evans'; Margaret Kahn; Kamal Puri
Cc: um_tuning@…; CAWCR esm_bom; CAWCR esm_csiro; Robert Bell
Subject: ACCESS Technical Coordination Group -- Notes from Meeting #2 (20/9/2012) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Colleagues, Here are notes from last Thursday's ACCESS Technical Coordination Group Meeting #2. Please forward on to any others not on this list as required. Mike

ACCESS Technical Coordination Group
Meeting #2
20 September 2012
10E, BoM Attendees:

  • BoM: Martin Dix, Michael Naughton, Tim Pugh, Robin Bowen
  • NCI (video): Ben Evans, Margaret Kahn
  • Monash (audio): Michael Rezny

Agenda
Review of Meeting #1 (18-Aug) action items

  • Governance framework
  • Communication with management
  • Communication with UM Working Group
  • Communication with NCI
  • accessdev machine request

BoM NCI transition project

  • dp9 project
  • arranging short-term increases from default disk space and time allocations
  • longer term data management plan
  • BoM-NCI comms link
  • training

UM TI Project NECTAR Other Business

Review of Meeting #1 (18-Aug) action items

  • Governance framework
    • TimP drafting terms of reference
    • Group reports through representatives to ACCESS Leader, CAWCR, BOM, CSIRO, COE, NCI managers
    • Group liaises with stakeholders and users, as appropriate
    • Group supervises activities of UM Working Group
  • Communication with management
    • ACCESS Leader briefed verbally on outcomes of first meeting (MikeN)
    • Communication with UM Working Group
    • UMWG briefed verbally on outcomes of first meeting (MikeN et al.)
    • Communication with NCI
    • NCI staff invited to join group (MartinD,MikeR,TimP); MargaretK, BenE joining from this meeting
    • accessdev machine request
    • request has been raised with NCI (BenE,Kevin Pulo)
    • MikeR, BenE have had discussions
    • Proposal is for virtual machine with ACCESS staff responsible for system admin
    • Machine to be set up using NCI procedures
    • Training required for using "orchestration" software
      • Location: NCI
      • Dates: 22-23 October
      • Attendees:
        • BoM: Asri Sulaiman, Robin Bowen
        • CSIRO: Ian Campbell, Tim Irwin, Martin Dix (?)
        • COE: Scott Wales, Michael Rezny
      • Needs to be properly notified and confirmed
    • Concept of stable "production" machine, and one or more development machine instances.
      • Need to decide on naming convention: possibilities
        • accessprod & accessdev1/2/3/..
        • accessdev0 & accessdev1/2/3/.. (or 1 & 2/3/..)
        • [later suggestion: shorter names? (Asri Sulaiman)]
      • require ability to re-build production machine at any time
      • require ability to add/subtract/update packages flexibly
      • Need specification of requirements: initial, later, longer term

BoM NCI transition project

  • dp9 project
    • project has been set up on vayu
    • information message sent out
    • project duration: now till new machine, initially 3-4Q 2012
    • use for BoM-ACCESS projects, esp. SREP, APS2, AGREPS
    • all BoM-ACCESS users on vayu have been added to dp9
  • arranging short-term increases from default disk space and time allocations
    • 375K SU time allocation will apply from start of October
    • /home increases to 5 GB have been arranged, may need requests to be made by each user
    • /short has been increased to 4 TB
    • dmf tape allocation of 10TB has been set up to allow for some work practice prototyping
  • longer term data management plan
    • nothing has been done yet on this; needs someone nominated
  • BoM-NCI comms link
    • 10 Gb link in place now between BoM and Canberra, but not available for general research use until mid-November
  • training
    • Date set for 2-3 days training in Melbourne from Mon 3-Dec
    • Margaret Kahn et al. to do training
    • Standard introductory training day on 3-Dec
    • Advanced topics on 4-Dec
      • power user focus, not for inexperienced staff
      • project management, accessdev, BoM setup on Fujitsu machine, RT req system, ???
      • decide on topics by mid-Nov
  • BoM Projects
    • projects requests to be handled through NCI applications process
    • BoM to decide on groupings to use for projects
      • few large projects cf. many small projects, etc.
      • issue of sharing files across projects: manage via access control lists (David Singleton email)
      • work needed on BoM-specific forms design (probably similar to CSIRO)
      • need to define applications and allocations process; announce, include in training
      • need timelines for this to be all done in time for new machine
      • current date is for new machine to be available mid-Jan
  • BoM NCI transfer wiki pages have been set up in the accesscollab access_wiki

UM TI Project

  • No update. ACCESS info was sent to Met Ofice 21-Aug; awaiting Met Office action.

NECTAR

  • NECTAR contracts have been finalised; still going through Bureau and partners for signing.
  • Staff have been assigned and work has begun
  • Work Package Plans to be presented to Steering Group in mid-October

Other Business

  • Fujitsu R&D meeting next Friday at NCI
    • TimP, MikeN to attend on behalf of Bureau; BenE to check with Lindsay Botten on CSIRO participation
  • ReDS/RDSI data storage projects (BenE)
    • Current focus on prototype based on key national research datasets as demonstration
    • Bureau NWP analyses and forecasts will probably form part of this; maybe Bureau observations?
  • Issues with password handling (RobinB) -- authentication plan in NECTAR needs to include this (MikeR)
  • Jobs environment for UMUI: ksh v csh support (RobinB): BoM requirement for ksh support as well as csh identified; plan will be for all ACCESS environments not to be shell-dependent.

Next meeting: Wednesday, 17th October

Last modified 6 years ago Last modified on Oct 10, 2014 2:25:32 PM